Inmartech 2016 Key note speaker
The Inmartech 2016 Organizing Committee is very happy to introduce the key note speaker, Dr. Ole Arve Misund, the National Institute of Nutrition and Seafood Research (NIFES). Ole Arve was asked since he has always taken a keen interest in our research vessels and the scientific instruments and equipment used. He also played a key role in the preparations of the current renewal of our research vessel fleet in Norway.
Ole Arve Misund was recently appointed from the Norwegian cabinet minister to be the new General Director of the National Institute of Nutrition and Seafood Research (NIFES).
Ole Arve was currently the Managing director of the University Centre (UNIS) in Svalbard, a position he took in March 2012. He is also the Chair of the board of UNIS CO2 Lab A/S.
Ole Arve Misund former position was Research Director at Institute of Marine Research (IMR), Norway, 2000 – 2012, and Head of the Fish Capture Section, IMR, 1997 – 2000. He has also been member of the Norwegian delegation to the Joint Norwegian – Russian Fisheries Committee 2005 – 2011, and lead the Science Group of the Joint Norwegian – Russian Fisheries Committee 2005 - 2011. And Elected Chairman of International Council of the Exploration of The Sea (ICES) Fishing Technology Committee 1999 - 2001.
Other former key tasks in his career are:
- Member of the Sea and the Coast (2005 – 2011)
- IPY (2006 – 2011)
- Global Change (from 2010 – 2013) program committees
- Polar Committee (2012 – 2013) of the Norwegian Research Council.
- The board of the Norwegian Meteorological Institute (from 2011)
- The ConocoPillips Arctic Program advisory board (from 2012)
- The board of the Bergen Museum (from 2005)
- Academia Europea
- Norwegian Scientific Academy for Polar Research.
- Scientist at IMR from 1990 – 2000
- worked with ORSTOM (now IRD), France, in 1992, specializing in fisheries technology, abundance estimation of fish, and fish behaviour.
- Published about 50 scientific articles, co-authored several books and book chapters, given many presentations and interviews, and acted as a referee for scientific journals.
- Educated as fisheries biologist at the University Of Bergen, Norway (Cand. Scient. 1986), and holds a Dr. of Philosophy degree at University of Bergen from 1991. Senior Executive Course at the Norwegian Defence University College, spring 2011.